I-131 Hyperthyroid Therapy
- You may not have this exam if you are breastfeeding, have had iodine within four weeks before the exam, or have been eating iodine-rich vitamins or foods.
- If you are woman of childbearing age, you must have a serum pregnancy test no more than 80 hours before taking the medication prescribed for this exam, unless you have been surgically sterilized.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke anything for two hours before taking the pill prescribed for this exam.
- Arrive at the hospital 30 minutes before your exam is scheduled. Ask the scheduler what time that is.
Bring with you to the hospital when you come for your test:
- Complete list of medications you are currently taking – name and dosage for each medication, and when you take it.
- Written physician’s order for the test.
On the day of the test:
- Come in through the main entrance of Mon General Hospital, then down the hallway to the Radiology Services registration desk.
For more information on nuclear medicine, visit http://healthlibrary.mongeneral.com/Search/85,P01290
Or call the Mon General Nuclear Medicine Department at (304) 598-1280.