CT-Guided Abscess Drainage or CT Biopsy
Preparation and/or precautions:
- Your physician will arrange for your admission to the hospital for monitoring prior to this exam, and will advise you on preparation. (Check with your doctor.)
- The hospital will call you the evening before your hospital admission to give you detailed instructions on preparation and when to arrive at the hospital.
Bring to the hospital when you come for this procedure:
- Complete list of medications you are currently taking – name, dosage, and schedule for each medication.
- Written physician’s order for the procedure.
On the day of the procedure:
- Come in through the main entrance of Mon General Hospital and to the Radiology Services registration desk, down the hallway to the right.
During the procedure:
- You will change into a hospital gown, then have blood drawn at least one hour prior to the procedure. Lab results must be within normal limits before the procedure can be performed.
- You will receive a local anesthetic prior to the procedure.
- This procedure is relatively painless, but if you feel any pain, tell the radiologist.
- Plan to be at the hospital for approximately two hours before the procedure, and for two to four hours afterward – or longer, depending on the physician’s orders and your needs.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the Mon General CT Department at (304) 598-1280.